Saturday, May 8, 2010

Training for the 5K

It seems that a lot of my facebook friends like to particpate in races.  Some will actually run while others just walk or ride their bikes.  Some will run to win while others just like to participate because the run supports a good cause.  All of their stories inspired me to try it...at least once.  So I signed up for the Firecracker 5K on July 3rd.

Now I wasn't going to kid myself and think I could finish this without training for it.  I also had concerns about a knee injury back in high school. So I contaced Kedgy at Fitness Lady and she was thrilled I asked for some pointers.  Her strong enthusiasm should have been my first clue that my body was going to be challenged.  The first thing that was challenged was my walking stride.  I'm 5'7" and since my surgery I have shortened my stride to someone that is much shorter.  Do you know how hard it is to relearn how to walk at 32?  I never knew that I would have to consciously remember to lengthen my stride as I walked.  I'm sure people are wondering what in the world is she doing because even I think I look very odd. (Josh, keep your comments to yourself.)  The next thing that was challenged was my time management.  I've gone from going to the gym when I felt like it to going 5 days a week.  This is hard to commit to because life gets in the way.  I can come up with sooo many other things that I would love to be doing instead of sweating and building muscles that have sat on the bench for the past 15 years.

The first night that Kedgy helped me I realized that I have LOTS of room for improvement.  I learned that if I don't make my goal, it's okay.  7 out of 10 isn't bad.  I haven't failed because I haven't given up.  I also learned to celebrate every victory no matter the size.  Kedgy has this wonderful ability to make you work harder just by encouraging you.  I've learned that words of encouragement from others really mean a lot to me.  And if those words make such an impact in my life, who can I encourage each day? 

Paul compares the Christian life as running a race.  I've read the passages several times and I got all the symbolism.  Or at least I thought I did.  I know I've only trained for a couple of days but these scriptures hold a different meaning to me now.  Don't give up.  Keep going even when you think you have nothing more to give.  Sometimes you have to go through pain so that you will become stronger.  God is always there beside you as you continue the race.  Sometimes He is walking with you. Sometimes He is running with you.  And sometimes He has to carry you.  But through each stage He is constantly encouraging you and loving you.

God is so awesome!

No comments: